Monday, April 11, 2011

Easter link up party with Centsational Girl!

Hey friends!  Here to share a quick Easter idea as part of the link party going on at Centsational Girl!  Kate showcases THE most wonderful home projects you can imagine and she always keeps our dollars and "cents" in mind along with a can-do do it herself attitude.  Love that!
I decided to do a little paper mache easter egg project this year using some fun vintage papers for covering my batch of blown eggs this year.  For the last few breakfasts, I've been determinedly emptying the contents of the eggs so that I could stockpile a few shells for decorating. 

Let's take a look at some of the papers I gathered for my project...
I grabbed some vintage book print, sheet music and a Vogue pattern and instructions.

Next, I trimmed everything into skinny strips using a paper cutter except the actual sewing pattern.  For that fine paper, i just tore into small pieces.
I used equal parts white flour and water plus a sprinkling of salt to make my paper mache glue.

The mix is pretty runny...to the consistency of thin pancake batter.

Next up...get messy!  Dip the papers into the paper mache glue mixture, strip off the excess liquid and randomly apply to the egg shells.  Dry time was approximately overnight and for my patience I was rewarded with a cute pile of vintagey eggs!  Each one has it's own charm but I think the sewing pattern one is my fave!

Thanks for coming by and checking out my project.  I just adore holiday inspired crafts and can't wait to check out all the links on the hop!  Have a sweet day!

Photobucket 
Eggshells
Flour
Water
salt
vintage paper scraps
Photobucket

5 comments:

Karen said...

Oooo...hippity hop into Easter with such fab vintagey eggs to decorate with! And here's one time that gluten comes in handy....it makes a mighty fine glue. But, since we have none in this house, I'm sure I can make due with other forms of glue....I think I *might* have just a *few* to choose from. ;> Though, they definitely are not as inexpensive as what you have made! Love your hippity hoppy happy li'l eggs and I'm so glad to have hopped on by! :>:>

Elise said...

You are, LITERALLY, rolling in the crafty ideas, my friend! THIS project is TRULY "centsational!" Yee Haw - PETER COTTONTAIL "likes" this!

Jocelyn Olson said...

These are soooo cool! I like the pattern one, too ;) What a fantastic idea!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Those are so cute - especially love the one all covered in print. I'm just hopping over from the Ladies Home Journal article.

Denice said...

I made five of these....really fast, fun, messy project. I used porceline eggs that you might use in hen's nests and I then used decopague glue. I cut up an old book's pages into strips and then into smaller pieces. I set the eggs on non-stick foil to dry overnight and then displayed them in a whilte bowl with red shredded paper underneath.